We use necessary cookies to make our site work. We also set analytics cookies to help us improve it, this information is collected in a way that does not allow us to identify anyone. Find out more about our cookies and how to block them. Find out more about Cookies

My bin has been damaged or stolen, what should I do?

If your refuse or garden waste bin has been damaged by our crew, they will have reported it and we will replace it free of charge. If it has been stolen or damaged by some other means, you will need to purchase a replacement bin from us. Please email us at customerservices@guildford.gov.uk or call us on 01483 505050.