Tours and Walks
Guided tours to take you on a journey back in time to find the history and heritage of the area, and walking routes to keep fit.
- Click here for a selection of walks that can be printed out with maps and instructions to follow..
- Download the Handheld Tours App On this same app you will also find the Newlands Corner and Shere Walk; The River Wey Walk and the Witley and Hambledon Walk.
- For a quiet peaceful walk, download the pdf of the Tranquility Trail for Guildford. [2Mb]
- iFootpath (http://www.ifootpath.com/) featuring countryside walks across Surrey.
- The Surrey Hills website also have plenty of walks, and Surrey County Council have lots of Cycle Routes you can follow.
- Download the 2019 Free Guided Walks of Guildford leaflet here [1Mb] or see the Guided Walks of Guildford Page for details of 2020 walks
- You can now follow the Surrey Hills Vineyards Trail and visit several local vineyards during your stay. Find out more on their website or download the Trail Map here [2Mb]
All Year Round Tours
- Denbies - with 265 acres under vine and 7 miles of footpaths. Also train rides around the vineyard and grape and grain tours in the winery. http://www.denbies.co.uk/events/outdoor-events/
- Winkworth Arboretum. this internationally significant landscape is a wonderful place for a stroll in the spring as plants and wildlife spring back into life. In the summer don't miss the azalea steps and in winter the spectacular colours rival New England in the Fall.
- RHS Garden Wisley gardens are wonderful to visit all year round. If you visit with pushchair or wheelchair there is an easy route round and plenty of coffee shops along the way. Keep an eye on the events section. https://www.rhs.org.uk/gardens/wisley
- Special booked tours of Guildford for Groups - contact the Tourist Information Centre
- Don't miss the Guildford Ghost Tour which takes place every Friday evening - informative and fun if you think you are brave enough!
Spring Tours and Walks
- bluebells - highly recommended places are Hatchlands Park; Winkworth Arboretum, and Pewley Downs and Chantries Wood.
- RHS Wisley
- Grape and Grain Tours - Surrey Hills Tour
Summer Tours and Walks
- Azalea Steps at Winkworth Arboretum
- RHS Wisley
- Guildford Town Guides take visitors on free guided walks from May to September
- Three special walks exploring the life of Alan Turing and his time in Guildford take place in the summer - they are free but must be booked - full details here: Alan Turing Walks
- The three Leading Lights walks explore the worlds of famous artists, actors and authors connected with the town - these walks are also free but must be booked - Leading Lights walks booking page.
Autumn Tours and Walks
Denbies Wine Estate, England's largest vineyard, is situated on the outskirts of Dorking in the heart of the Surrey Hills Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. Explore acres and acres of vineyard rolling into the distant hills, a captivating sight - in the middle of Surrey. The Visitor Centre is open daily, perfect for a pre-walk breakfast or warming refreshment in the middle of winter. With 265 acres under vine and 7 miles of footpaths which trail throughout the vineyard there are plenty of routes to explore. Trail suggestions and ideas here: http://www.denbies.co.uk/events/outdoor-events
RHS Wisley: Wrap up warm and enjoy the colours of winter at Wisley. Pick up a trail leaflet at the Garden entrance and follow the trail around the Winter Walk with its winter interest plants; colourful stems reflected in the lake, sweet smelling winter flowers, frost covered leaves and many different barks showing off their rich textures and colours. Beyond the Winter Walk trail, slip into the Pinetum with its gentle giant evergreens and winter heather collection; or wander along the grass paths through the Arboretum where skeleton trees are silhouetted against the sky. Drop in for a warming drink at one of the cafes, or stay for lunch. https://www.rhs.org.uk/gardens/wisley/whats-on.
Winkworth Arboretum is open on Boxing Day to walk off your Christmas Dinner! Nestled on a hillside in the heart of Surrey, Winkworth Arboretum's wintry woodland is the perfect spot for a quiet walk in the crisp, clean air. With a mixture of level walkways and challenging hills, there's a route for everyone around this internationally significant landscape. When you've finished your walk, pop into the tea-room near the kiosk for a warming drink and a slice of homemade cake, baked fresh daily. Our friendly volunteer guides run regular tours around the Arboretum, which is a great chance to discover more about the Arboretum's renowned collection of trees. https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/winkworth-arboretum/features/winter-walking-at-Winkworth-arboretum
Challenges for the experienced walker
- The Fox Way- a 39 mile circular walk through the beautiful countryside around Guildford - don't worry - the walk is split into 7 easy stages.
Want to take your four-legged friend for a walk - check out Dog Walks at Hatchlands Park.
The Guildford Tourist Information Centre sells a wide range of books and maps to help you find your way around.
Guildford and Surrey is famous for its food and drink, especially its sparkling wine! Why not explore with English Sparkling Wine Tours and get to visit the best local vineyards.