Visiting Guildford Museum
Entrance to the Museum is free. Find out about the Museum's access information, opening times and location.
Guildford Museum is open Mondays to Saturdays, 11am to 5pm. Last entry: 4.45pm.
We are open on Bank Holiday Mondays.
How to find us
Guildford Museum is at the junction of Quarry Street and Castle Hill, at Castle Arch, about 200 metres from the lower end of the High Street. It's a 10 minute walk from the train station and also a 10 minute walk from the Friary Bus Station. There are also a number of car parks within walking distance and the town has park and ride options.
View Guildford Museum in a larger map
Getting to the museum
- Visitors who are blue badge holders can park at the metered parking almost opposite the Museum in Quarry Street. A dropped kerb is at the junction with Castle Street.
- The museum has a portable ramp if required for nearer kerb access.
- Simple/clear text bullet points for people with learning difficulties about how to get here are available.
- Large print descriptive directions are available for visually impaired visitors.
- Access to the historic Museum buildings is currently via steps only, without a handrail.
- A portable ramp is available and can be set out with advance notice. It is steeper than current standards for a fixed ramp and does not have handrails.
- We can arrange an alternative such as loans boxes or outreach visits.
- Details of the entrance and arrival is included in the descriptive and easy text information (available on request).
Around the galleries
- A member of staff is available to welcome visitors, they are located at the reception/shop desk immediately opposite the entrance.
- A fixed induction loop is provided at the reception/shop desk.
- A portable induction loop is available for meetings or talks in other areas.
- The temporary exhibition gallery is on the ground floor.
- Access around the galleries is via steps and there are currently only stairs within the historic buildings. The main flights have a handrail on one side, the short flights do not. Seating is available.
- There is a large print/clear text transcription of the introductory video (located on the first floor).
Access to the displays
- Simple/clear text bullet points about the Museum collection displays are available.
- Large print descriptive information about the Museum collection displays is available for visually impaired visitors.
- The Collections Assistant or Access Officer can provide a one-to-one descriptive guiding in the temporary exhibition or collections displays with advanced notice.
- Handling items area available in the loans boxes (with advance notice and subject to availability).
- There is a slightly larger than standard toilet on the ground floor.
A Shopmobility scheme operates on Level 3 of Bedford Road car park. The scheme provides manual and powered wheelchairs and scooters for people who have problems walking around the town centre. You do not have to be registered disabled to use the scheme. Call Shopmobility on 01483 453993.
Tel: 01483 444751
Visiting Guildford Museum