Toggle menu

Your council tax, benefits or business rates accounts will be offline

From 4pm on Friday 31 March until 5pm on Monday 3 April you will not be able to access your council tax, benefits or business rates accounts on MyGuildford. This is whilst we run our year end processes. We apologise for any inconvenience.

Do I need planning permission?

Permitted development rights

You do not always need planning permission to make changes to a house. You have permitted development rights to make some changes. Permitted development rights link to many factors including:

  • the position of the work
  • the height of the work
  • the size of the work
  • the materials used for the work

Permitted development rights are different depending on the type of property (e.g. commercial, dwelling). Permitted development rights do not apply to flats or maisonettes unless the owner wants to install solar panels.

We recommend you find out about permitted development rights using the Planning Portal. Their interactive guides show you if you need planning permission.

If you are still unsure, we also have a pre-application advice service to tell you if your plans fall under permitted development rights.

Lawful Development Certificates

Sometimes, you'll need formal confirmation of whether you need planning permission. In this case, you should  (LDC). You can also find information about Lawful Development Certificates on the Planning Portal. You'll have to pay an application fee. If you don't think you need planning permission for a project, you should apply for an LDC. This means you can make sure you do not break the law.

You will also need an LDC if:

  • you need to confirm if your plans were lawful under your permitted development rights. This applies if you have changed the use of a property or carried out development work.
  • you've made unlawful changes to a property, but we have not taken action against you in time. The LDC gives you immunity from any such action in the future.

You must provide enough factual information for us to consider your application. Check Lawful development certificates to find out which information you need to give.