Toggle menu

Apply for a pavement licence

What you need to know

A pavement licence allows your business to put removable furniture on the pavement.

If you want to apply for pavement licence there are rules you have to follow. To place removable furniture such as:

  • tables
  • chairs

outside of cafes bars, and restaurants.

Pavement licence rules

  • you must be a food business to apply for a pavement licence. This includes selling food on or off your premises
  • the license duration has now been increased. The time for consultation on licenses has also been increased
  • applications go through a 14 day consultation period. We will then make a decision on your licence
  • you cannot appeal a refused licence
  • you will not get a refund if your licence is not approved
  • we have authority to take away furniture that has been put out without a valid license

The pavement licence on its own does not allow you to trade. You must apply for:

  • a premises licence if you're selling alcohol or late-night refreshments
  • a club premises certificate if you're supplying alcohol
  • a street trading consent if you're selling items in the street. This includes selling food or drink

We offer pre-application advice on this licence.

You can view our recently received pavement licence applications.


Fees for renewals and new licenses are capped at our standard fee.

The new application fee is £500

Renewal application fees are £350