Toggle menu

Find out about charitable collection licences

Charity street collections

You will need a permit to carry out charitable collections. You will need a street trading consent if you are intending to sell anything as part of a business.

Note that:

  • it's not just 'streets' that are covered within this licence  - you'll need a licence if you collect money in public areas, eg a shop doorway or car park
  • licences are valid for the day and between the hours stated on the permit
  • we may limit the collection to certain streets or public places

Will tacit consent apply?

Yes. We have a target completion period of 21 days for this notice. This means if you have not heard from us by the end of this period you can act as though your application is granted.


To apply online you must either register or login to the portal to access the forms. The forms will guide you through applying for a charity street collection licence. We advise you read  Street Collection Regulations (PDF) [21KB]  before making your application.

Applications for a street collection permit should be made at least 28 days before the collection date. After the collection a return form must be submitted within one month of the date of the collection. 

Apply for a street collection permit (opens new window)

Submit charity collection return (opens new window)