Apply for or renew a Hackney Carriage vehicle licence
What you need to know
- Hackney Carriages (taxicabs) may be hailed, hired from a taxi rank or pre-booked
- they have a roof sign and a white licence plate on the rear
- they must be our teal colour (Pantone 321)
- maximum fares for journeys within our borough are regulated by us
- a taximeter will be used
- CCTV in licensed vehicles (from April 2023)
- emissions standards for licensed vehicles
- a suitability test for vehicle proprietors
- the vehicle must be less than 5 years old (from the date of first registration) at the time of initial licensing
- the vehicle must meet the vehicle specification as set out in the Council's Licensing Policy
All Hackney Carriages must have the Guildford Borough Council livery (colouring).
- see the details of the
- we have a list of providers of the livery
Once the vehicle is licensed as a hackney carriage, it may only be driven by a driver with a Hackney Carriage driver's licence.
The vehicle must also maintain its appearance as a Hackney Carriage, including any signage, roof sign and plate.
We offer pre-application advice on this licence.
|Hackney Carriage Vehicles|
Fee for 2022/23
Hackney Carriage Vehicle (new/renew)
Hackney Licence Vehicle Change
Hackney Carriage temporary vehicle (3 months)
Vehicle Licence Plates