Toggle menu

Apply for or renew a private hire vehicle licence

Apply for a private hire vehicle licence

To apply for a private hire vehicle licence, you will need:

  • the correct fee payable by credit or debit card
  • certificate of insurance covering the passenger for hire and third party risks
  • vehicle registration document V5 or new owner tear off slip
  • proof of ownership of the vehicle
  • hire purchase agreement (if your vehicle is on hire purchase)
  • MOT test certificate (required when 12 months old)
  • HPI report (for pre-owned vehicles)
  • European whole vehicle type approval certificate
  • mechanical test certificate passed within the last month. You can book your vehicle in online at Woking Road Depot (see our MOT testing page)
  • certificate showing the meter has been calibrated and sealed

Use our  transfer a vehicle licence application form (PDF) [228KB]  to transfer a licence from one proprietor to another.

Start your application

To make this application you will need to:

  1. click the button below, create an account, or log in to the licensing portal
  2. after logging in select 'licensing' from the left hand side menu 
  3. select taxis and private hire
  4. you can then select the licence to apply for or renew

Apply for a private hire vehicle licence (opens new window)