Toggle menu

Apply for help with your rent

Who can claim housing benefit?

You can still apply for housing benefit if any of the following apply:

  • you are of state pension age
  • you live in supported or temporary accommodation

To make a claim you must:

  • rent your home or pay rent as a tenant, lodger or boarder in a hostel or bed and breakfast
  • be on a low income or qualify for other benefits
  • have savings of less than £16,000
  • live in the home you're claiming housing benefit for

In some circumstances you may be able to get housing benefit for two homes, including: