Toggle menu

Apply for or renew a private hire vehicle licence

Apply to change your private hire vehicle

What you need to apply

You will need the documents listed below to apply. Make sure you have these documents ready to upload before you start your application. 

  • a certificate of insurance covering the passenger for hire and third party risks
  • a vehicle registration document V5 or new owner tear off slip
  • proof of ownership of the vehicle
  • hire purchase agreement (if your vehicle is on hire purchase)
  • MOT test certificate (required when 12 months old). You can book your MOT online
  • HPI report (for pre-owned vehicles)
  • European type approval (if the vehicle is imported or has been adapted)
  • mechanical test certificate passed within the last month. You can book your MOT online

Start your application

To make this application you will need to:

  1. click the button below, create an account, or log in to the licensing portal
  2. after logging in select 'licensing' from the left hand side menu 
  3. select taxis and private hire
  4. you can then select the licence to apply for or renew

Apply to change your private hire vehicle (opens new window)