Toggle menu

Update: water supply issues in the GU1, GU2, GU3, GU4 and GU5 areas has been resolved

The majority of customers' supply should have returned by now. However for those who are still without supply, this will be as a result of air pockets. Read advice from Thames Water about no water or low pressure

If you are still experiencing issues with your water supply this morning you can get free bottled water from a Thames Water bottled water station. For water stations opening times and updates, visit Thames Water website.

If you need support from an engineer to get your water supply back to normal, please call Thames Water on 0800 316 9800.

Licensing win prestigious RSPCA award

Dog and cat snuggling

Our licensing team has won a Bronze Animal Activity Licensing Award in the RSPCA PawPrints Awards for the fourth year running.

The RSPCA PawPrint Awards celebrate local authorities, housing providers and emergency services that have gone above and beyond caring for animals in their communities.

The awards, which include five categories recognise excellent practices in animal welfare. The categories are:

  • stray dog services
  • contingency planning
  • housing policy
  • animal activity licensing
  • kennelled dog welfare.

Lead Councillor for the Environment, Cllr James Steel said:

"Congratulations to our team for their achievement. Our officers work hard to ensure our standards remain high when it comes to the welfare of animals in our borough. This award is a reflection of their hard work.

"We regularly inspect licensed businesses to make sure they meet the required high standards of care. The businesses must have relevant experience or qualifications looking after pets. We also encourage our residents to let us know if they become aware of an unlicensed business. Unlicensed businesses are unlikely to have valid insurance.

"Our residents play a big part in supporting our team effort. It is also important that as an animal owner, they are aware of animal activities that need to be licensed."

The activities in need of licensing are:

  • boarding dogs in your home
  • providing day-care for dogs
  • boarding dogs in kennels
  • boarding cats
  • selling animals as pets
  • breeding dogs
  • hiring out horses
  • keeping a Zoo
  • keeping a dangerous wild animal (defined by a Schedule in the Act)
  • keeping, or training animals for exhibition

Further details can be found on our animal licensing page.

We are always looking to improve the way we work to provide better services and care for animals. We have a service operated by Dogbusters, who collect stray dogs and bring them back to their owners. The service is in operation 24/7 including bank holidays.

Find out more about how we can help with lost, stray, dangerous and noisy dogs.

Published on: 18 October 2022