Working to improve air quality on the A3 in Guildford
We are working with National Highways and Surrey County Council to improve air quality on the A3 in Guildford.
The health of our residents and those walking and cycling is our top priority. Part of our work included a study to understand the traffic and sources of pollution.
Our A3 Guildford Report (PDF) [18MB] found that:
- most vehicles using Guildford A3 section are making journeys which do not start or end in Guildford
- 80% of the Nitrous Oxides (NOx) emissions are from diesel vans and cars
- vans make up 15% of traffic but account for 45% of emissions
These findings suggest that we cannot just target local vehicle users. It would be more useful to target drivers of diesel vans and cars. The findings helped us develop a list of measures to help improve air quality. These include:
- encouraging more electric vehicles on the roads
- re-routing the cycle network away from the A3
- promoting sustainable transport initiatives
The suggestions above will help reduce the issue of air quality in Guildford. We will continue to work with National Highways and Surrey County Council in improving the air quality on the A3 in Guildford.
Check here for updates on this project.
We're always looking to improve the accessibility of our documents. We are aware the A3 Guildford Report is not in an accessible format.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like our support to access the report.