Submit a building control application
Before you apply
Our building control team make sure buildings in Guildford meet building regulations standards . They help check the design and construction of your project.
We have a qualified and experienced team. To apply for our reliable, proactive and high quality service, you need to complete both:
- an application form
- a payment form
Before starting your application, make sure you've answered the following questions:
Information for builders
The Health and Safety Executive has published guidance for builders on their website.
What to submit
You need to include the following information in your application:
- your name and contact details
- your agent's name and contact details (if you have one)
- the address of the property you want to work on
- principle (or sole) contractor details
- principle (or sole) designer details
- a description of the work you want to do
- a description of how the property is currently used, and how it will be used when the work is finished
- information about planning permission (if it's been granted)
You also need to submit the following plans:
- the site plan at a scale of 1:1250 or 1:2500 with the site outlined in red
- building drawings (elevations) at a scale of 1:50 or 1:100
- floor plans at a scale of 1:50 or 1:100
- section plans at a scale of 1:50 or 1:100
All plans need to be in one of the following file formats:
- Adobe PDF
- AutoCad DWG and DWF formats
- Microsoft Word or Excel
- JPEG and JPG images
- TIF and TIFF images
If you make a building control application, the following fees apply to full plans applications:
- plan charge - you need to pay this when you make your application
- inspection charge - you can pay this at any time before the inspection
You only need to pay one fee for building notices and regularisation applications.
How to calculate fees for your project
- read our
- fill in a building control fee quote form
Our Building Control submissions portal is currently unavailable. To apply for building control use the Planning Portal service.
The easiest way to apply is our building control submissions portal. Once you've applied, you also need to pay separately.
You can apply on the Planning Portal
Apply by post
To apply by post, complete an application form and a charges form. Send both to our Millmead office.
Apply by phone
We can apply on your behalf if you call us. Contact 01483 444000 during office hours.
Pay for your application
You can pay for your building control application online.
What happens next?
Once you've applied and paid, you can start work. Our surveyors inspect the work during construction to make sure it meets building regulations.
Our inspections do not replace either:
- full supervision
- workmanship/quality checks
You'll need to arrange these yourself.
You, your agent or your builder need to notify us at certain points so we can arrange inspections.
You only have to apply for inspections at the statutory stages which affect your project.
We'll issue a completion certificate after a satisfactory final inspection. You'll need the certificate if you sell the property. Your solicitor, bank or building society may need it too.
We can give you the details of old completion certificates issued for properties you own. If the work finished before 1991, we'll give you the completion letter. You'll need the following information:
- building control application number
- full address of the site location
- description of the works
Either send this to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01483 444000. We'll respond to your request within 10 working days.
Use our online search if you need to find any of the information you need.
If we find the work you're searching for did not have a final inspection, we can arrange a date for one.