Toggle menu

Your council tax, benefits or business rates accounts will be offline

From 4pm on Friday 31 March until 5pm on Monday 3 April you will not be able to access your council tax, benefits or business rates accounts on MyGuildford. This is whilst we run our year end processes. We apologise for any inconvenience.

Report a bonfire

 report icon

A bonfire can be a handy way to get rid of garden waste but you need to be aware of the impact on your neighbours and the environment.

There is no law against having a bonfire, though it is an offence for the smoke, smell and ash to cause a nuisance. We recommend you look at other ways of getting rid of garden waste, such as composting.

If you must have a bonfire, we recommend you:

  • have your bonfire as far away from buildings as possible
  • do not light a fire if the wind will carry the smoke over roads or into your neighbours' gardens or property
  • burn only dry wood and plant waste. Do not burn material that will create toxic fumes, for example, plastic, rubber or aerosols
  • put the bonfire out with water
  • remember that smoke hangs in the air on damp, windless days and in the evening

Report a bonfire

If you are being disturbed by bonfire smoke and ash, try politely discussing the issue with your neighbour. They may not realise they are causing a problem.

If the situation does not improve, you can report a bonfire. For us to take action, the bonfire must be classed as a statutory nuisance. This means the bonfire you wish to report must be more than an annoyance, and affecting you in an unreasonable way.

  • you will need to keep a record of dates, times and how the bonfire is affecting you
  • an officer may arrange to visit to witness the bonfire disturbance
  • if the bonfire is a statutory nuisance, the officer will issue an abatement notice. This does not put a stop to the bonfires but may help reduce the numbers
  • if the bonfire nuisance continues and evidence is sufficient, we may take the offender to court for not complying with the abatement notice
  • you may also be able to take your own private legal action
  • if you have reported the bonfires and are concerned that not enough is being done, you can then raise a community trigger

To report a bonfire you will need to make an account and log in.

Report a commercial bonfire

Report a domestic bonfire