Toggle menu

Challenge a parking fine

complaints icon

If you think a parking fine is incorrect, you can challenge it.

If you plan to challenge a fine, do not make a payment as payment is acceptance of liability.

The penalty charge notice (PCN) is a legal document. When you respond, it must be in writing, and we cannot discuss anything over the telephone.

How to make an informal challenge

The first step is to make an informal challenge. We must receive an informal challenge within 28 days of the PCN's issue date. To receive the 50% discount, we must receive your challenge within 14 days of the PCN's issue date.

We will put your parking fine on hold while we investigate your challenge.

To make a challenge, you will need the:

  • Parking charge notice (PCN) number (starting with GU)
  • vehicle registration number
  • reason for your challenge including supporting evidence

There are two ways to submit your challenge: online or by post.

Challenge your parking fine online

To challenge your parking fine online, click on the button below.

Challenge a Penalty Charge Notice (opens new window)

Challenge your parking fine by post

If you would like to submit your challenge by post, you will need to include details from the list above as well as your:

  • full name
  • address
  • contact number

Send only copies of documents as they will not be returned to you.  The address to write to is:

Parking Services, Millmead House, Millmead, Guildford, Surrey, GU2 4BB

What happens after I've submitted my challenge?

After you submit your challenge, we will respond to your challenge. Our current response time is around 30 days. Making further contact with us will mean it takes us longer to respond.

If your challenge is accepted, you will not have to pay the charge.

If you meet the 14 day deadline and we reject your challenge, the 50% discount to your charge will still apply.

If you make your challenge after the 14 day deadline and we reject your challenge, you may have to pay the charge in full.

If we reject your formal representation, you will have 28 days to make a payment or make an appeal to the Traffic Penalty Tribunal. To find information about how to make an appeal to the Traffic Penalty Tribunal, click the button below.

Traffic Penalty Tribunal (opens new window)

For more information about making an appeal, you can read our guidance for appeals to the traffic penalty tribunal (PDF) [146KB] .

Lost Penalty Charge Notice?

If you have lost your Penalty Charge Notice (PCN) you will need to contact us to obtain the PCN number (starting with FM or GU).

When you contact us please provide vehicle:

  • registration number
  • make
  • model
  • colour

Contact us (opens new window)

Challenging a PCN beginning with 'RR'

Surrey County Council manage all on-street parking enforcement. On-street parking is when you park along a road or street. If you've been issued a PCN beginning with 'RR' you'll need to challenge this with Surrey County Council. 

Find out more about challenging a parking fine with Surrey County Council (opens new window).