Toggle menu

Environmental permits

If your business can affect the environment through air, land or water pollution then you will need to apply for an environmental permit. You may need an environmental permit if you do an activity that could:

  • pollute the air, water or land
  • increase flood risk
  • affect land drainage

Depending on your activity and the pollution risk, you need to apply to the Environment Agency or from us. 

  • apply to the Environment Agency if your activity is listed as "Part A1"
  • apply to your local council if your activity is listed as "Part A2 or "Part B"

Check here whether your activity is classed as 'Part A2' or 'Part B':

Further information and guidance (opens new window)

Apply for an Environmental permit

The fees and charges for the application process are provided by the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA).

Fees and charges for permitted processes (PDF) [1MB]

Application form, surrender, transfer or variation form (PDF) [788KB]

The completed application form along with the appropriate fee should be sent to:
Regulatory Services
Guildford Borough Council
Millmead House

If you have an environmental permit from us, you must pay an annual subsistence fee to cover the regulatory costs. The fee is set by DEFRA.

We can take away your permit if the fee is not paid.


All permitted processes must be inspected regularly to make sure you are meeting the conditions of the permit issued by us. The amount of inspections depends on the risk rating of the previous inspection.

Read the Environmental Permitting General Guidance Manual (PDF) [1MB]  for more information.