Apply, renew or amend a garden waste collection
What we offer
There will be no garden waste collections for two weeks between Monday 25 December and Saturday 6 January.
If you do not want to compost your garden waste and are unable to take it to the rubbish tip you can sign up to our garden waste collection scheme. This is a kerbside collection of garden waste, costing £48 per bin for 2023/2024.
What we collect?
✔ Grass cuttings
✔ Garden prunings
✔ Hedge trimmings
✔ Small twigs and other woody waste
✔ Dead plants and weeds
✔ Branches no larger than 7.5cm (3 inches) in diameter
What we do not collect
✗ Flower pots and seed trays
✗ Soil and turf
✗ Rocks, stones and pebbles
✗ Animal/pet bedding
✗ Kitchen or food waste
✗ Large branches (more than 7.5cm (3 inches) in diameter
✗ Household waste or metal objects
Brown garden waste bin delivery
If you have ordered between 1st January and 28th February, we will deliver your bin in March. If you ordered your bin after 1st March and you have not received it within four weeks, use our online support form .
How do I compost?
Garden and organic waste make up a large proportion of the rubbish which ends up in landfill. We are promoting ways of recycling this waste through home composting. Composting is nature's way of recycling decomposed organic materials into a soil known as compost.
There are some excellent online resources that explain how to compost in your own garden. Surrey Environment Partnership provides useful information about what to compost and how to compost. More information can also be found at the Royal Horticultural Society website.
Composters and wormeries
If you would like to compost but do not have a garden, then a wormery can be used. This will convert kitchen waste into concentrated liquid plant food and rich compost.
Composting is nature's way of recycling. Organic materials are broken down into a soil known as compost.
A green cone enables you to recycle all household food waste in your back garden. For anyone who does not have the time to compost, Green Cone is excellent.
Find out more about Green Cones from the Great Green Systems website.
A hot composter, the Green Johanna recycles all kinds of waste food - cooked food, bones, meat and fish - into compost.
Find out more about Green Johanna from the Great Green Systems website.
Terms and conditions
- You should use the garden waste bin(s) that we provided for your last subscription
- This application is valid from 27 March 2023 to 24 March 2024. It costs £48 per bin for the year, regardless of the date that you join the scheme
- We do not collect garden waste during the two weeks over Christmas and the New Year
- If you let your subscription expire or do not pay for the service, we will remove your bin(s)
- Refunds will not be issued if you cancel your subscription during the year
- Your subscription(s) can be transferred if you move house within the borough
- We strongly recommend that you label your bin(s) with your property number or name
- Please put your bin(s) out at the property boundary or other point specified by the Council, by 6.30am on the day of collection
- The bin lid must be closed for collection. Side waste will not be collected
- We do not collect soil, as this service is for garden waste for composting only. Putting soil in the bin is likely to put the weight over the lifting limit of 50kg. We will leave any bin that weighs over 50kg
- We are unable to accept any plastics in amongst your garden waste collection, including plastic sacks of any type
- A contaminated container will not be emptied. You must remove the contamination and present the container for the next scheduled collection. We will not return if the container was contaminated. Find out what you can put in your garden waste bin
- Please do not compact materials into the bin, as they will not tip out during the automated emptying process
- If we miss your bin(s) on collection day, please let us know within two working days using our report a missed bin collection page or by phone on 01483 505050. We will not return if a missed collection is reported after this period
- If you lose or damage your bin you can order a replacement . We will charge you £30 for a new one unless the damage or loss was our fault
- We are unable to provide any concessionary rates for this scheme
- If you provide an email address for renewal reminders, it is your responsibility to check that you have given us the correct address and that you have received emails about your garden waste renewal service each year
- This service is only available to domestic residents. It is not available for commercial customers
- We cannot provide any concessionary rates on this service
- Payment must be registered to an individual residential property. If you are applying on behalf of a communal residence (for example, several flats), phone us first on 01483 505050
- We reserve the right to refuse a service to any property for any reason. If we cancel a service we will provide a pro-rata refund of the remaining service subscription
If you are an existing garden waste subscriber, please remember:
- continue to use the bin from your last subscription
- contact us if you lose or damage your bin. There is a £30 replacement fee, unless the damage or loss was our fault
- your collection is a fortnightly service
- we will contact you when you need to renew your subscription
- if you have paid by direct debit before you can continue to do so
- you cannot set up a direct debit. We only accept one off payments for subscriptions
- fortnightly collection (25 collections) not including the two weeks over the Christmas period
- your bin should be ready at 6.30am at your collection point on the day of collection. It should not weigh over 50kg
Apply, renew or cancel a garden waste subscription
We're currently not accepting new garden waste subscription applications for 2023/2024. You can still renew your subscription if you already have a garden waste bin.
You must have an account and be logged in to change or cancel a garden waste subscription. Create your account first, then come back to this page to complete your task using the buttons below.
Renew a garden waste subscription
This form will guide you through changing your garden waste subscription. If you pay by direct debit do not use this form to renew your subscription.
Read the information below before beginning the form:
- you must be logged in
- payments made on or after 1 January 2023 are for the 2023/24 subscription year running from 27 March 2023 to 24 March 2024. You will need to pay £48 for each bin
- if you have ordered an additional bin between 1 January and 28 February 2023, we will deliver your bin in March. If you ordered after 1 March we will deliver your bin within 4 weeks
If you are currently receiving garden waste collections:
- we encourage you to renew your subscription between January and March, but you can renew at any time
- you can add more bins to your existing subscription whenever you want
- some properties are not able to have bins, a maximum of four garden waste sacks are provided in this instance. The form will find out what is best for you.
- view your subscription information in your online account
- use this form if you want to use less bins in the next subscription, but still have a service.
Change your address or cancel your garden waste subscription
This form will guide you through cancelling your garden waste subscription.
- if you are moving within Guildford Borough use this form to move your subscription to your new address. You must take your garden waste bins with you.
- if you are moving outside of Guildford Borough use this form to cancel your subscription
- no refunds are offered for the cancellation of the service at any point within the year