Our Handyperson Scheme helps those who are over 60, disabled or vulnerable and live in the borough. The scheme may be able to assist you with small works to your property, such as:
- plumbing repairs
- installing key safes, grab rails or banister rails
Our Care and Repair Agency carries out a Handyperson Scheme which operates as a limited service for urgent and essential works. Hospital discharges will take priority.
Take a look at our short video to find out more about the Handyperson Scheme.
Examples of work undertaken for a small charge:
- install key safes
- small carpentry works
- plumbing repairs or small alterations
- assemble units from DIY stores
- any other small works
We cannot offer a same day service, but urgent works will be given priority.
How much does the service cost?
A fee of £25 per hour (£15 for those on means tested benefits) plus the cost of materials, will be charged for the service. The handyperson will spend up to a maximum of two hours on site. Payment can be made by card over the phone.
As part of our falls prevention work, we will fit the following free of charge:
- Grab rail (12in/18in/24in) plastic (300mm/450mm/600mm)
- Grab rail (12in/18in) steel (300mm/450mm)
- Grab rail (offset) (12in/18in) steel (300mm/450mm)
- Newel rail
- Banister rails