Toggle menu

Report a noise complaint

 report icon

What you need to know

In order for us to take action, the noise must be classed as a 'statutory nuisance'. This means that the noise is affecting your health and wellbeing and having a very negative impact on your enjoyment of your home.

We also look at other factors, such as how often, and how long the noise goes on for, what time of day it is, and the type of area you are in. If your neighbours are tenants of a social landlord (such as a council or a housing association) you should complain to the landlord first and then, if the problem is not resolved, to the Housing Ombudsman Service (opens new window)

The Community Trigger can also be used if you have complained to us, the police and/or a registered housing provider (landlord) on three or more occasions about separate incidents in the past six months.

What we deal with

Noise we can deal with:

✔ barking dogs

✔ car alarms

✔ construction site noise

✔ DIY works

✔ intruder alarms

✔ amplified music/parties

✔ noise from commercial premises, pubs and clubs

Noise we do not deal with:

✗ traffic noise

✗ aircraft noise

✗ children playing inside or outside

✗ complaints where the noise is a problem because the person complaining may be sensitive due to personal/medical reasons

✗ general domestic/living noises

✗ noise transmitted by poor sound insulation

✗ noisy behaviour in public places

✗ noise from works such as road works due to gas/electric/water or works to the railway at night

Report a noise nuisance

Step 1

Your first step is to try to talk to the person causing the noise, as long as it is safe to do so. This can sometimes be a simple way of solving the problem.

Step 2

If talking to the person causing the noise is not possible, you could use a mediation service to help resolve the issue.

Contact Mediation Surrey (opens new window)

Step 3

If the situation does not improve after you have tried step 1 and 2, you can then report the problem to us. 

To report a noise nuisance you will need to make an account and log in.

Report a commercial noise nuisance (opens new window)

Report a domestic noise nuisance (opens new window)

Report a construction noise nuisance (opens new window)

Report an alarm sounding (opens new window)



What happens next?

We ask you to keep a record of dates, times and how the noise affects you

  • we will check your record to see if we can take further action
  • if the noise is likely to be a 'statutory nuisance', we will write to the person responsible. If this solves the problem and you do not report any other incidents within 30 days, the case will be closed

What if the problem carries on?

  • we will arrange for the noise to be witnessed
  • if we decide the noise is a 'statutory nuisance', we will issue a notice to stop the noise happening
  • if the noise nuisance carries on and there is enough evidence, we can take the offender to court
  • you may also be able to take your own private legal action
  • if you have reported the problem and are concerned that not enough is being done, you can raise a 'Community Trigger'
  • the Community Trigger helps you get a review of your case by ourselves, the police and other parties, such as the housing provider. The review will focus on working together to find a solution