Toggle menu

Technical issues with our payment system

We are experiencing some technical issues with our payment system. Some customers may have issues processing payments. We are currently not taking payments for garden waste renewals while we look into the issue. We are working hard to fix this as soon as possible and apologise for any inconvenience.

Apply for a road closure

If you're applying for a road closure for the Kings Coronation on 6 May 2023 you must apply by 3 April 2023. This is to make sure your application will be processed in time. Road closures for the Kings Coronation are free.

You can apply for a road closure for events such as parades and processions, street parties, Christmas lights illuminations and celebrations of marked events, such as Bonfire Night.

Applications cost £154.50.

Apply for a road closure

Applications for Remembrance Day events and Street Play are free. Other events and national celebrations such as the Big Lunch are decided on a case by case basis.

Notes for applicants

The Council is permitted to make a road closure order under the Town Police Clauses Act 1847 only where roads are likely to be crowded or obstructed during an event on or near a highway.

The Council reserves the right to refuse an application if:

  • you are unable to satisfy the Council that the event falls within the Act
  • if there are objections which the Council considers to be valid and cannot be resolved
  • if the Council is not satisfied with any of the arrangements made and/or if you have not complied with the guidance in this note

For special or large events, you may be able to apply for a Temporary Traffic Regulation Order under the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 from Surrey County Council.

You will be responsible for the costs involved and ensuring that manned barriers and signage are in place. Details of providers can be found on Street Party or contact your local sign maker/hire shop.

Before submitting your application, you should consider the implications of the road closure for emergency service access, bus operators, taxi operators and Highways (Surrey County Council) and others who may be inconvenienced by it. You should discuss the proposals with:

During the event, there must be clear access at all times for emergency vehicles. This also applies to small street parties. You must have a plan of how the emergency services can get access if there is an accident.

The Council strongly advises you to carry out a risk assessment for your event and consider purchasing public liability insurance. Further information on public liability insurance and risk assessments can be found online at Street Party or The Big Lunch.

The site must be left clean and tidy after the event. You will be responsible for clearing your own rubbish.

If you are planning to sell alcohol to the public, you will need to contact the Council's Licensing department for advice on any licence that you will be required to obtain. If everyone brings their own alcohol then you will not need a licence.

You should apply for a road closure at least 8 weeks before the closure date so we have time to process your application. We can't guarantee we can process your application if it's received later than this time.

The person completing the form will be the named representative who will be available at all times immediately before, during and after the event so they can be contacted by the Council, Surrey County Council or the Police if necessary.