Toggle menu

Slyfield community recycling centre closure

The Slyfield community recycling centre will be closed from 15 June to 30 June 2024 for essential maintenance. Find out more about alternative community recycling centres. (opens new window)

Search or comment on a planning application

Search for information about a planning application

You can search for a planning application. Make a simple search by entering an application number or part of an address. You can use the advanced search tab to narrow down the results.

If you want to find building control information, click 'search' at the top of the page. Select 'Building Control' from the drop down box.

Search for a planning application (opens new window)

For more information about the location of planning applications, use our interactive planning map.

Comment on a planning application

Comments that have been received will not appear online until they have been checked and registered.

The quickest way to submit your comment is online. Comments received by email take longer to check, register and upload.

What you need to know

Your comment must support or oppose the application, it cannot be neutral. For us to accept your comment you need to register using your home address. Only send us your comments once. If you submit online, do not send the same comment by email or post. This makes it take longer for us publish them.

Only comments relating to planning issues can be considered when assessing and determining planning applications.

The public can see any comments you make online. Your name will appear next to your comments, but we remove information like your home address. Any comments we publish will stay online for four years.

We will not put comments online if they make remarks about:

  • the owner of a property or
  • anyone who can be identified

Comments will be checked for offensive language or inappropriate content. If your comment includes this, it will not be published.

What to include in your comments

You may include issues related to: 

  • a loss of light
  • overlooking or a loss of privacy
  • parking, loading or turning
  • an increase in traffic
  • noise and disturbance
  • a loss of trees
  • poor road access
  • proposals in the local plan
  • previous appeal decisions
  • local, strategic, regional and national planning policies

What you should not include in your comments:

 loss of property value

 private issues between neighbours

✗ loss of a view

 the impact of construction work or competition firms

✗ matters covered by other legislation, including restrictive covenants on land - restrictive covenants usually happen when somebody selling land wishes to restrict what the buyer can do with it

✗ ownerships disputes over rights of way

✗ the applicant's motives, character or personal circumstances

Submit your comments 

You will need to login to our public access system to make a comment. This is a different login to your MyGuildford account.

Comment on a planning application (opens new window)

We aim to make your comments available online in ten working days. During busy times this may take longer.

For more information about the location of planning applications, use our interactive planning map.

What happens next?

How do we decide?

After the 21 day consultation period, a caseworker will visit the site. They consider all comments and other planning issues. Caseworkers decide based on:

  • design issues
  • privacy
  • traffic
  • access
  • landscaping
  • noise

The caseworker cannot decide based on:

  • private property matters
  • any effect on the value of the property
  • the loss of a view
  • anything covered by other legislation
  • the character or motives of an applicant

The caseworker will then recommend how we should answer an application. Sometimes we'll ask local councillors to consider the caseworker's recommendation. This would happen if:

  • there are lots of objections
  • the caseworker recommends we refuse to give planning permission

The council might disagree with the caseworker's recommendation. In this case, the Planning Committee discuss the application. The caseworker's report will be on the case file once we decide.