Apply for a sex establishment licence
To run a sex establishment in the borough you need a licence from us. You'll need to renew your licence every year.
Sex establishments include:
- sex cinemas, showing R18-certificate films
- sex shops, premises, vehicles, or stalls used for selling or showing sex articles. This may include videos, DVDs, and books.
- sexual entertainment venues. This is where nude or sexually provocative performances are performed live in front of an audience
- be over 18
- ensure that no one under 18 works or visits your premises
- have not had a licence ban or a licence refused in the last 12 months
- have been a UK resident for the last six months
We offer pre-application advice on this licence.
The application fee to apply for this licence is £1615.00 and is non-refundable even if the licence is declined
The venue grant fee is £164.80 which only applies if your licence is granted
This form will guide you through how to apply for a licence for a sex establishment.
After you apply you must:
- publish an advert about your application in a local newspaper
- display a notice about your application in or near your premises
The public and businesses can support or appeal your application.
Consultation on draft licensing policy
The legislation enables local authorities to have a policy and conditions relating to:
- sexual entertainment venues
- sex shops
- sex cinemas
Guildford currently does not have any licensed Sexual Entertainment Venues.
You can send your comments to: