Toggle menu

Apply for a sex establishment licence

To run a sex establishment in the borough you need a licence from us. You'll need to renew your licence every year.

Sex establishments include:

  • sex cinemas, showing R18-certificate films
  • sex shops, premises, vehicles, or stalls used for selling or showing sex articles. This may include videos, DVDs, and books.
  • sexual entertainment venues. This is where nude or sexually provocative performances are performed live in front of an audience

You must:

  • be over 18 
  • ensure that no one under 18 works or visits your premises
  • have not had a licence ban or a licence refused in the last 12 months
  • have been a UK resident for the last six months

We offer pre-application advice on this licence.


The application fee to apply for this licence is £1615.00 and is non-refundable even if the licence is declined

The venue grant fee is £164.80 which only applies if your licence is granted 


This form will guide you through how to apply for a licence for a sex establishment.

After you apply you must: 

  • publish an advert about your application in a local newspaper
  • display a notice about your application in or near your premises

The public and businesses can support or appeal your application.

 Application for Grant of a Sexual Entertainment Venue Licence [272.37KB]

Consultation on draft licensing policy

The legislation enables local authorities to have a policy and conditions relating to:

  • sexual entertainment venues
  • sex shops
  • sex cinemas

Guildford currently does not have any licensed Sexual Entertainment Venues.

We are currently holding a consultation for our residents, workers and other stakeholders, to gather views on the  draft licensing policy (PDF) [484KB]

You can send your comments to: 

Licensing Team
Millmead House