Toggle menu

Apply for a temporary events notice

A temporary event notice (TEN) can be used for licensable activities at a premises.

It can only be used providing that no more than 499 people will be on the premises at any one time during the event. For larger events you will need to apply for a premises licence.

If you want to carry out a licensable activity you must apply for a temporary events notice (TEN). This process involves an event organiser (premises user) giving a TEN to the Licensing Authority and notifying to the relevant Police Authority.

Licensable activity includes:

  • selling alcohol
  • serving alcohol to members of a private club
  • providing entertainment, such as music, dancing or indoor sporting events
  • serving hot food or drink between 11pm and 5am

Further information and guidance (opens new window)

We offer pre-application advice on this licence.

Update for 2022-2023

There have been some changes to legislation that affect a TEN notice from 2022-2023. 

  • the number of TENs allowed at a premises has increased from 15 to 20
  • the time for TENs allowed at a premises has been increased from 21 to 26 days

Will tacit consent apply?

Yes. We have a target completion period of 14 days for this notice.

If you have not heard from us by the end of this period you can act as though your application is granted. We aim to acknowledge your application and to begin processing it within this period.


The application fee is £21


The form will guide you through applying for a TEN. 

  • You must apply at least 10 clear working days before your event. Clear working days do not include the day we receive your application or the day of the event.
  • You must send a copy of the TEN to the police and environmental health at least 10 working days before the event.
  • You'll need to download the pdf form. Open the form using Adobe Reader (opens new window)   instead of your web browser.

Apply for a TEN (opens new window)