Honorary Freeman David Goodwin
It is with great sadness we confirm that Honorary Freeman David Goodwin passed away peacefully in the early hours of Monday 4 September.
David was first elected to our Council in 1999. He represented the Friary and St Nicolas ward for the first 16 years. Then the Onslow ward for the following 8 years.
Leader of the Council, Councillor Julia McShane said:
"David Goodwin was an experienced councillor with extensive knowledge built up over his many years serving the community. He was a passionate advocate for residents in his ward and right across Guildford and villages.
Earlier this year it was a pleasure to see him made Honorary Freeman of the Borough in recognition of his tireless service and devotion to the people, businesses, and charities of Guildford Borough. He will be greatly missed."
24 years' service
- served on the Licensing Committee and was its chairman between 2019 and 2023
- was a designated Licensing Sub-Committee chairman from 2007 to 2023
- served a year on the Council's Executive in 2019 to 2020 as the Lead Councillor for Waste, Licensing, and Parking
- Vice-Chairman of the Guildford Joint Committee in 2022
- Vice-Chairman of the former Building and Works Committee from 2000 to 2001
- Deputy Vice-Chairman of the former Building and Works Committee 1999 to 2000
During his time on the Council, David was also a member of the following committees:
- Arts and Recreation (1999 to 2001)
- Building and Works Committee (1999 to 2001)
- Corporate Governance and Standards Committee (2021 to 2022)
- Guildford Joint Committee (2021 to 2022)
- Licensing Committee and its predecessor committee (1999 to 2023)
- Licensing Sub-Committee (2004 to 2023)
- Overview and Scrutiny Committee (2001 to 2003 and 2016 to 2019)
- Planning (2001 to 2015)
- Policy Panel (Leisure) (2001 to 2004)
David also served on many external bodies and organisations as our representative. These included:
- Governor of St Nicolas Church of England Infants School (2000 to 2004)
- Guildford Sports Council (2002 to 2003)
- Guildford and Freiburg Association Committee (1999 to 2003 and 2011 to 2019)
- Guildford Taxi Advisory Group (2000 to 2013)
- Hilliers Charity (2004 to 2019)
- Town Centre Licensing Forum (2000 to 2007)
As well as his service as a borough councillor, David was a member of Surrey County Council for 16 years from 2005 to 2021. His division covered the former Friary and St Nicolas and Onslow Wards.
On 1 June 2023, we conferred the title of Honorary Freeman of the Borough upon David. This was in recognition of his distinguished and eminent service to our borough, being a councillor from 1999 to 2023.
Published on: 6 September 2023