Annual Canvass for the Register of Electors
What will happen this year?
What is the new canvass?
Every year we need to carry out an annual canvass to make sure the Electoral Register is correct. This year (2020) the annual canvass has changed under The Representation of the People (Annual Canvass) (Amendment) Regulations 2019.
How does the new canvass work?
Step 1: Data matching
The Electoral Register is securely sent to the Department of Working Pensions (DWP). The DWP check names and addresses from the register against National Insurance details. Local data (e.g. Council Tax records) can be used to as a matching exercise too.
- If all the registered people at a property that match with DWP or local data, go to Route 1 canvass.
- If there are any people at a property that don't match, the property will go to Route 2 canvass.
- Properties that have a duty manager - eg care homes and nursing homes - will go to Route 3 canvass.
Step 2: Routes of communication
- If we hold an email address for you, we will send you an email to ask you to confirm that our details are correct. If you need to make a change you will be able to do this as well.
- Within the email there will be a web address to access your property details - www.elecreg.co.uk/guildford
- You will receive two security codes in the email used to identify your property.
- After logging in you will be able to confirm or change the details we hold for that property.
- If we don't have an email address for you, or we don't receive a response from our email, we will send a form to your property. If the elector details on the form are correct, you don't need to do anything. You can add or remove someone from your property. Go to the website address and use the security codes on the form to log in and complete that change.
- If you have no changes, you can also respond by calling 0808 284 1520 for the automated telephone service.
- We will post a form to the property. The form will have elector details listed on it if we are aware of registered electors. We will send a blank form if the property is empty.
- We need a response from this form even if there are no changes to report.
- You can add or remove someone's name from the property. Go to the website address on the form and use the security codes to log in and complete that change.
- If you have no changes, you can also respond by calling 0808 284 1520 for the automated telephone service. Or you can post the form to: Electoral Registration Officer, Millmead House, Guildford GU2 4BB.
- If we do not receive a response, we send we will make every attempt to get a response from you. This may be via reminder forms, calling you or a visit to your property.
ITR (invitations to register) forms
We will send you an ITR form to complete if you need to register. This forms helps us to confirm a person's identity so we can add them to the electoral register.
You can help us save money by registering online as soon as possible at https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote
This is also the quickest and safest way to send us your personal information.
We will send a reminder to anyone who does not respond to an ITR form. If you have not registered, a canvasser might visit your home to collect your information.
Your personal information
We will only use the information you give us for electoral purposes. We look after personal information securely and follow the Data Protection Act 2018. We will not give your personal information to anyone else, unless we must by law.
Electoral Services Contact Details