Planning performance agreements
We offer planning performance agreements for major planning projects.
To enter into a planning performance agreement with us please use the link below to complete a Platinum Pre-Application submission. You will need to upload with your pre-application submission a completed, select a Platinum service level and pay the £500 deposit at the end of the pre-application online form.
A planning performance agreement is an agreement between Guildford Borough Council 'GBC' and an applicant to provide a tailored project management framework for handling a development proposal from pre-application stage through to decision and any compliance with conditions.
All PPAs agreed with Guildford Borough Council are made pursuant to the Localism Act 2011 and the Local Government Acts 1972, 2000 and 2003. Section 93 of the Local Government Act 2003 permits local planning authorities to charge for providing discretionary services and legislation is clear that, where charges are made, they must not exceed the cost of providing the service.
We only offer these agreements for Major Applications (Residential or Commercial) involving a number of pre-application meetings, updates throughout the application process, guidance and sign off at the conditions phase.
A Major Application for these purposes as relevant to the powers of GBC is defined as :- "major development" means development involving any one or more of the following:
(a) the winning and working of minerals or the use of land for mineral-working deposits
(b) waste development
(c) the provision of dwellinghouses where
(i) the number of dwellinghouses to be provided is 10 or more, or
(ii) the development is to be carried out on a site having an area of 0.5 hectares or more and it is not known whether the development falls within sub-paragraph (c)(i)
(d) the provision of a building or buildings where the floor space to be created by the development is 1,000 square metres or more, or
(e) development carried out on a site having an area of 1 hectare or more
Art 2 Interpretation Town and Country Planning (Development Management Procedure) (England) Order 2015/595Part 1 Preliminary.
A PPA would be put together and agreed between both parties. The PPA would include a dedicated planning officer for the project and the opportunity to discuss the scheme through a series of meetings to inform the development of the proposal. The dedicated lead officer would co-ordinate the involvement of other teams or officers as necessary such as Design and Conservation or our Arboricultural Officer.
The complexity of the PPA and the variety/number of issues being addressed will dictate who is involved in the process as consultees. This will be co-ordinated by the dedicated lead officer.
For large strategic development, the PPA may encompass the very earliest stages and include collaborative work on visioning, feasibility and developing local plan documents that support its delivery. PPAs can also cover post decision phases, such as the consideration of reserved matters and conditions if agreed between the parties
Why sign up to a PPA with Guildford Borough Council?
The benefits of using a PPA are:
- Certainty of timescales for reaching a decision and where applicable, having a specific planning committee date to work towards. Key elements and dates will be provided in writing
- A project-managed application process that includes a range of Guildford Borough Council professionals involved in the determination of your application
- Extensions of time or changes to the timescale will be agreed by both parties
- The opportunity to discuss and find solutions to identified issues as they arise and make changes to applications as required
- The cost of pre-application advice for the proposal, consultation with relevant stakeholders and community engagement is included where applicable
- Access to Guildford Borough Council officers and consultees to enable constructive discussion on planning applications
- A named officer contact, so you can discuss your application at any stage during the process.
Does having a PPA mean you will get an approval?
No. Guildford Borough Council cannot guarantee the outcome of any planning application. By signing up to a PPA you will be ensuring that you have the best possible chances of a positive conclusion. PPAs are designed to remove some of the uncertainty for applicants and keep communication open throughout the planning process. There is no obligation on Guildford Borough Council to approve applications subject to a PPA.
How to enter into a PPA with Guildford Borough Council
- If a PPA route is decided upon, we agree a project vision and development objectives, working out key dates, timescales and responsible parties.
- Our team will make an assessment of the resources required for the project.
- You will need to read our template PPA/resourcing agreement. There are blank sections for you to complete. Amend the PPA and resourcing agreement where necessary and both parties sign.
- The deposit set out in our schedule of fees, currently £500 will need to be paid on submission of your completed PPA template form. The amount of deposit will be reviewed and adjusted from time to time.
- All submissions should be made through our online form on the Guildford Borough Council website. Please complete a .
Please email your completed proforma to firstname.lastname@example.org
Guildford Borough Council PPA service fees
Fees cover the cost of:
- a planned and responsive pre-application process including any required meetings and site visits
- a structured and defined methodology for the PPA process from pre-application to decision
- built-in flexibility afforded by timescales for a decision which are not limited by the constraints of the 8/13/16-week requirement for conclusion. Any extensions of time to be agreed at the outset or during the PPA process with the agreement of all parties
PPA's require full payment in advance. Any additional work including extra meetings and consultants fees will be agreed between the applicant and Guildford Borough Council and paid for before any extra PPA work commences.
|Service||Fee (including VAT)|
|Phase 1: PPA Deposit Paid||£500.00|
|Phase 2: Initial Meeting outlining PPA||TBA|
|Phase 3: PPA fee agreed and project timescales outlined||TBA|
|Phase 4: Meetings and process||TBA|
|Officer time (per hour)||Fee (including VAT)|
|Director of Planning & Regeneration||£275.00|
|Principal Planning Officer||£95.00|
|Senior Planning Officer||£85.00|
|Design and Conservation Officer||80.00|
The fees above cover our costs for any officer time attributed to your PPA. These fees will be subject to annual review and any changes to the rate of value added tax (VAT).
All payments must be received in advance. Payment are made via our online payment system by credit or debit card or by bank transfer upon request.