Reduction for care leavers
If you are a Surrey County Council care leaver under 25 years old and paying council tax, we may be able to help you.
We might be able to reduce or cancel your council tax bill for the year.
To qualify for the discount you must be:
- a Surrey County Council care leaver under 25 years old
- live in Guildford
- be responsible for paying council tax (on your own or with someone else)
The amount of reduction will be:
- if you pay council tax on your own, the reduction will be 100%. This means you will be exempt
- if you pay council tax with one other person, then the reduction will be 50%
- if you pay council tax with two other people, the reduction will be 33%
- the care leaver discount is applied after all other discounts, reductions or exemptions are made
The care leaver discount will only apply from 1 April 2021 to 31 March 2022.
The discount will stop:
- if you turn 25 before 31 March 2022
- if you stop being responsible for paying council tax within the Guildford Borough Council area
- on 31 March 2022