Adapting your home
What are adaptations?
We can make changes to your home if, due to age or disability, you are finding daily activities hard. We can provide adaptations and equipment to help you move around your home. We can provide small pieces of equipment, including:
- raised toilet seats
- shower seats
- shower rails
Where adaptations cannot happen, a different home might be better. We offer incentives to move to a smaller property which may not need adaptations.
Who can apply?
Anyone with a medical condition or physical disability. You can apply for yourself or for someone in your household.
We may ask an occupational therapist or bathing advisor to visit you in your home. They will recommend adaptations and tell us how urgent they are.
Minor adaptations do not need occupational therapist assessment. We will carry out the work in 28 days.
This type of work includes:
- lever taps - that can be turned on and off by pushing and pulling a lever
- stair or banister rails
- raised sockets - spacers on the sockets so they are further away from the wall
- window winders - windows can be open and closed through winding a handle
- replacing doors to give better access
- grab rails
- outside rails
- door entry
- fitting key safes
- fitting security lights
These are changes to your home that involve building work. An occupational therapist will assess if you need major adaptations or equipment. They will check if your home can be adapted to meet your needs. They may decide it would be better to find you somewhere different to live. An occupational therapist will assess for the following adaptations:
- bath lifts
- over bath showers
- walk in shower or wet room
- door widening
- wheelchair accessible kitchens
- hard standings, this is a hard material on the ground to park on
- ramps and steps
The occupational therapist will recommend the adaptations needed and how urgent they are. Depending on budget, we may not be able to carry out all the recommendations.
Get advice before applying
If you need advice about making changes to your home, our Care and Repair Team can help you.
The Care and Repair Team can:
- give advice on what you need
- check if you're eligible for a disabled facilities grant or home improvement grant
- get a surveyor to draw up a scheme to meet your needs
- help find contractors to get the best price
- supervise contractors' work
Call the Care and Repair Team on 01483 505050.
Get help if you have care needs
You can contact Surrey County Council Social Care Team if you have care needs for yourself or a member of your family.
The team may get in touch to arrange an assessment with you.
Apply for adapted housing
If you think you qualify for adapted housing email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01483 505050.
Contact our Occupational Therapist (OT) for an assessment of your needs.
Please fill out the email@example.com email it to:
Our OT will usually be able to visit within 6 to 8 weeks.
What happens next?
The OT will visit you to:
- talk to you about your situation
- look at activities you are struggling with
- look at ways of making things easier and safer for you.
The OT will write a list of recommendations, which will be sent to the Adaptations team, who will then arrange the works.
Are there any adaptations we can't carry out?
Yes, these include:
- building a mobility scooter store room
- showers in sheltered accommodation (where there are communal facilities already suitable)
- adaptations for friends or visitors
We may say no to requests for adaptations if:
- there is a more suitable property available
- you have applied to buy your home under the right-to-buy scheme
After the work is finished?
We will send you a customer questionnaire. Your feedback helps us to improve the service we provide.
Will my council rent increase as a result of the adaptations?
We will only put up your rent if we have made your home bigger or increased the number of rooms. Some adaptation could result in lower council tax.
How long will it take to get the work done?
We aim to have your home assessed by an occupational therapist within four weeks of your enquiry. The occupational therapist will give us their recommendations. We aim to have any work completed in six to eight weeks. This could be much longer for major adaptations.
Appeals and complaints
We will respond to any appeals or complaints in line with our complaints policy and procedure.