Ongoing support for guests and sponsors
Surrey County Council offers support on how to find a home, access essential public services, healthcare, find work and childcare and education services across Surrey.
The Home Office has published immigration information about:
- the next steps Ukrainians need to take after arriving in the UK
- visa support information to Ukrainians and their family members
The entry stamp you received on arrival into the UK provides evidence of your right to stay in the UK. The stamp is valid for the first six months only. To extend your stay for up to the 3 years you will need to apply for a Biometric Residence Permit.
Support from us
We currently offer the following support:
Help with council tax
The government changed the council tax rules for Ukrainian nationals living in the UK to:
- if a Ukrainian national moves in with someone or to a property occupied they do not have to pay council tax. This will not affect the owners council tax usual arrangements
- if a Ukrainian national moves into an empty property, they will need to pay council tax. They will be entitled to a 50% discount. This depends on visa entry requirements. If they are on low income, they can claim help with the remaining balance by applying for local council tax support
Benefits and financial support
- if you're on housing benefit and struggling financially, you can apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment
- tell us about any changes that may affect your housing benefit or council tax support
- if you're facing financial problems you might be able to apply for our Local Support Fund
- if you live in the centre of Guildford you can apply to Guildford Poyle Charities for help with travel and training costs
If you have any questions or support call us on 01483 505050.
Find out what other help and support we offer by visiting our cost of living support pages
Guildford's family support
Our family support programme offers support to guests and hosts. We will be visiting or calling all guests and hosts over the coming months. This is to discuss any issues, concerns or help needed. Our team includes a Ukrainian speaker. If you want to speak to someone sooner, email us your contact details: email@example.com.
We are not able to provide specific housing advice.
Thank you payments under the Homes for Ukraine scheme
Sponsors of Ukrainian families will receive a monthly payment. The payment amount depends on the length of time your guests stay with you.
You will receive:
- £350 per month for guests that stay up to 1 year
- £500 per month for guests that stay over 1 year up to 2 years
You will receive these payments for up to 2 years if your sponsorship continues.