Submit a building control application
Before you apply
Our building control team make sure buildings in Guildford meet building regulations standards. They help check the design and construction of your project.
We have a qualified and experienced team. To apply for our reliable, proactive and high quality service, you need to complete both:
- an application form
- a payment form
Before starting your application, make sure you've answered the following questions:
Information for builders
The Health and Safety Executive has published guidance for builders on their website.
What to submit
You need to include the following information in your application:
- your name and contact details
- your agent's name and contact details (if you have one)
- the address of the property you want to work on
- a description of the work you want to do
- a description of how the property is currently used, and how it will be used when the work is finished
- information about planning permission (if it's been granted)
You also need to submit the following plans:
- the site plan at a scale of 1:1250 or 1:2500 with the site outlined in red
- building drawings (elevations) at a scale of 1:50 or 1:100
- floor plans at a scale of 1:50 or 1:100
- section plans at a scale of 1:50 or 1:100
All plans need to be in one of the following file formats:
- Adobe PDF
- AutoCad DWG and DWF formats
- Microsoft Word or Excel
- JPEG and JPG images
- TIF and TIFF images
If you're submitting a printed form, you'll also need to get a quote or work out the plan fees for the work.
If you make a building control application online, the application form will calculate the fee for you. The following fees apply to full plans applications:
- plan charge - you need to pay this when you make your application
- inspection charge - you can pay this at any time before the inspection
You only need to pay one fee for building notices and regularisation applications.
To apply using a paper form, you'll need to calculate the fee for your project in one of the following ways:
- read our
- use the fee calculator included in our Building Control Online Submissions portal
- use the calculator in our online payment forms
If your building work does not fall within tables A to E (listed in our), we'll help you get a tailored quote.
The easiest way to apply is our building control submissions portal. Once you've applied, you also need to pay separately.
You can also apply on the Planning Portal.
Apply by post
To apply by post, complete an application form and a charges form. Please send both to our Millmead office.
Apply by phone
We can apply on your behalf if you call us. Contact 01483 444545 during office hours.
Pay for your application
You need to pay within 24 hours of submitting the application form. Our online payment forms include a fee calculator, but you may wish to check.
If you're carrying out domestic extensions and alterations at the same time, contact 01483 444545 to pay.
What happens next?
Once you've applied and paid, you can start work. Our surveyors inspect the work during construction to make sure it meets building regulations.
Our inspections do not replace either:
- full supervision
- workmanship/quality checks
You'll need to arrange these yourself.
You, your agent or your builder need to notify us at certain points so we can arrange inspections.
You only have to apply for inspections at the statutory stages which affect your project.
We'll issue a completion certificate after a satisfactory final inspection. You'll need the certificate if you sell the property. Your solicitor, bank or building society may need it too.
We can give you the details of old completion certificates issued for properties you own. If the work finished before 1991, we'll give you the completion letter. You'll need the following information:
- building control application number
- full address of the site location
- description of the works
Either send this to email@example.com or call 01483 444545. We'll respond to your request within 10 working days.
Use our online search if you need to find any of the information you need.
If we find the work you're searching for did not have a final inspection, we can arrange a date for one.