We use Cookies to improve your experience. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. View our cookie policy

Submit a Building Control application

The Building Control system exists to ensure that buildings are designed and constructed in accordance with the Building Regulations and associated legislation.

You can find out more about Building Regulations on the Local Authority Building Control (LABC) website, including information on  what are building regulations and also when you require a building regulations application.

New Building Regulations changes came into effect from 1 October 2015.

There is also a useful video from LABC about how the Building Regulations help you.

For further information, please see our when you require a Building Control application page.

How to submit your Building Control application

There are three types of Building Control applications that can be submitted online - Full Plans, Building Notice and Unauthorised Work (regularisation). For further information please see our types of Building Control applications page.

To submit an online application please visit Building Control Online. If you have not used this service before, you will need to register before continuing. Once you have registered, please enter your email address and password to login. You will then need to select the type of application you wish to submit.

The following file formats can be submitted online with your application.

  • Adobe PDF

  • AutoCad DWG and DWF formats

  • Microsoft Word or Excel

  • JPEG and JPG images

  • TIF and TIFF images

New Building Control applications can also be made online via the Building Control application service on the Planning Portal.

Telephone Building Control applications

If you are unsure how to complete an application form or short of time, we can do this on your behalf over the phone. Please contact us on 01483 444545 during office hours.

Postal applications

If you would prefer to submit your application by post, fill out the relevant application form and send to Planning and Building Control services. You will also need to complete a  icon charges form [384.68Kb]  and send it to us with your application.

icon Full Plans application form [184.99Kb]

icon Building Notice application form [222.75Kb]

icon Unauthorised Work (regularisation) form [356.49Kb]

Site location plans for your application

If you require a site location plan for your application, use the  Planning Portal's Buy a Plan service to purchase the plan for your project.


You will need to pay for each building regulation application. To work out how much the charge will be, please use our online fee calculator or see our icon Building Control Charges April 2017. [612.18Kb]   

New charge

Please note from 1 January 2016, an administrative charge of £75 (inclusive of VAT) will apply to retrieve and reopen an archive file where work has commenced but no progress has been made in over a year.

Individually determined charges

Where your proposed building work does not fall within tables A to E in icon Building Control Charges, [612.18Kb]  you will need to complete an icon individually determined request form. [322.19Kb]

Please return the completed form with any appropriate plans and details to Building Control.


If you have any further questions, please contact Building Control on 01483 444545 or email buildingcontrol@guildford.gov.uk or visit the Main reception at Millmead House, Guildford.

Our Customer Service team will help with general questions and advice and application forms are also available here as well as online. We also have a duty surveyor available in the office or over the phone to answer general questions relating to construction within the borough.