We use Cookies to improve your experience. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more about Cookies

House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) Licence

If you rent out a House in Multiple Occupation (HMO), you may require a licence.

The Housing Act requires a licence in some cases, in order to ensure  HMOs are a decent standard. Landlords will need a HMO Licence if the property contains all three of the points below:

  • It has three storeys or more (includes basements and attics)

  • is occupied by five or more people

  • has some occupants sharing an amenity such as kitchen/bathroom

Guildford only operates the mandatory licensing scheme under Part 2 of the Housing Act 2004, and does not have any additional selective licensing schemes in our area. However, the Government did consult on extending the scheme nationally, watch this page for announcements later in 2017/18.

Apply online or by post

You can submit the HMO application and pay online and upload the relevant supporting documentation.You can also renew online. You must apply for a renewal before your licence expires.

Or complete our  icon HMO Licence application form [235.5KB]  or   icon License renewal application [130.48KB]  and send to the Private Sector Housing team. The application must wherever possible be accompanied by:

  • A current gas safety certificate (if there is gas)

  • The maintenance record for any automatic fire detection system

  • Commissioning and/or Periodic Inspection certificate for the electrical installation (if available)

  • A plan of the floor layout showing the size of the rooms (similar to the type used by estate agents) - does not apply to renewal applications.

  • A licence fee, which can be paid online via the GOV.UK website, or by cheque if you are posting your application to us.

    • The fee from 1 April 2017 will be £590. Discounts are available: £50 for accredited landlords who are part of the Guildford Lettings Accreditation Scheme, or £25 for members of another recognised landlords' association.

    • There is an additional charge of £110 for late applications. This late fee applies where a licence was required but not applied for, or where insufficient information is provided in the application.

We will normally inspect the property and will issue a draft licence, with any works required, before issuing the licence. The licence will be issued within 90 days of a complete application being received with all the relevant information - we will write to you if we cannot meet this target.

Will tacit consent apply?

No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. You can, however, continue to operate whilst your application is processed. If you have not heard from the us within a reasonable period, please contact us by calling 01483 505050 or emailing: HCCS@guildford.gov.uk.