Information for landlords

We advise on a range of property and tenancy related matters.

The new Electrical Safety Regulations 2020 - Please send your electrical safety certificates confirming works have been made safe (as required) to For more information, see our Electrical inspection and testing - advice for private landlords page

Covid-19 and renting -  Read Gov.UK guidance for landlords and tenants

Evictions  - Landlords must now give 6 months' eviction notice to tenants until March 2021. Court order notice hearings are delayed until 20 September 2020. Find out more about the ban on evictions. Find out more if you are worried about paying rent. Get advice if you have been made homeless

For more tenant and landlord information, visit: Business closures and exemptions - updated legislation; Guidance for people working in, visiting or delivering to other people's homes.

These include:

With regards to private sector housing, our priorities are to:

  • Reduce disrepair in private homes and reduce the number of non-decent homes

  • Ensure all Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO) meet relevant standards

  • Reduce the number of long term empty properties

  • Influence private landlords to provide good standards of accommodation, which will be properly managed, at affordable rents

  • Improve energy efficiency in residential accommodation and to encourage the take up of renewable energy sources

Homes 4 U

Do you own property to let in Guildford or the surrounding area? Would you appreciate a no fee service including free tenancy support and a continuous supply of tenants for re-lettings?

Since January 2004 Homes 4 U has helped approximately 1200 households move into private rented accommodation, by providing deposits. There are currently 350 active private tenancies that we have helped to secure.

We provide you with:

  • A free tenant introduction service

  • A free tenancy agreement

  • A free independent inventory service

  • A designated point of contact with us to assist you during the tenancy

If you are interested in the free service, we would love to hear from you!

Please contact the Homes 4 U team on 01483 444244 or email:

Financial assistance to landlords

Grant Assistance to landlords is limited to works to bring empty homes back into use.

We actively encourage the use of renewable energy sources. Interest free loans are available to assist with the cost of installation of such technology.

In other cases we may consider the Home Trust Loan for other eligible repairs and improvements.

Housing standards and enforcement of the private rented sector

Landlords have a responsibility to maintain the property in a satisfactory condition.

The tenant could take the landlord to court, using Section 11 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985, if a landlord fails to carry out repairs after being informed of them. The court can order the landlord to undertake the repairs and award damages to the tenant.

We also have a duty to deal with unsatisfactory housing conditions in the private sector. We have set up the Guildford Lettings Accreditation Scheme to help raise standards and promote good landlords. We will also take enforcement action where necessary in accordance with our Icon for pdf Enforcement Policy [202.5KB].

The Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS) is a risk-based approach for identifying defects in dwellings and of evaluating the potential effect. We have a duty to deal with the more serious hazards. Powers to deal with the hazards, include informal hazard awareness notices, formal improvement and prohibition notices, plus specific provisions for dealing with urgent hazards.

Three of the main hazards are damp/mould, excess cold, and fire safety.

Damp, mould and excess cold are often found together. See our advice on dealing with damp and mould.

An Energy Performance Certificate is needed in most residential properties, this can give an indication of the heating costs but does not take account of any damage to systems.

Fire safety can be enforced in any domestic property under the Housing Act, not only Houses in Multiple Occupation. Further fire safety guidance is available.

Smoke and carbon monoxide alarms

From 1 October 2015 the Smoke and Carbon Monoxide (England) Regulations 2015 require all privately rented homes to be fitted with a working smoke alarm on each floor of the property. A working carbon monoxide alarm should also be fitted in a room that contains a solid fuel burning appliance.

See the guidance booklet for further information.

We are responsible for enforcing the requirements and where a landlord fails to comply with the regulations, they may be liable to a penalty charge of £5000.