How do I pay my council rent?

There are several ways that you are able to pay your rent.

How to pay your council rent

Housing have a number of payment methods available to make paying your rent as convenient as possible.

Online payment

Make a payment by debit or credit card. We accept all major Debit and Credit cards. Before making a payment to us you will need to register for 'Verified by Visa' or 'MasterCard SecureCode' via your card issuing bank.

Direct Debit

If you rent your home from the Council or have an equity share home from the Council, direct debits can be collected any day of the week or month. For more information regarding direct debits and to set up a direct debit, please contact the Housing Income Collection Team on 01483 505050.

Post Office

You may pay in cash or using a debit card at any Post Office or Payzone outlet in the UK. You will need a rent payment card to make a payment. If you have any questions regarding rent payment cards or need to order a replacement, please contact the Housing Income Team.


We do not accept cheques. Please use one of the other payment methods on this page. You can find out more about Withdrawal of cheques page. Alternatively you can contact our Customer Service Team on 01483 505050 if you need assistance or by email

Automated Telephone Payment (ATP)

For those that want to ring in at any time of the day or night to make a payment, this facility is now available via the number below.

ATP Tel: 03300 889584

HSBC in North Street, Guildford

You can pay at the Council's bank - HSBC in North Street, Guildford. Note - there is no extra charge to you for paying in cash for council tax or rent.

Please remember to quote your reference number when making payments to the Council.

Our bank sort code is 40 22 26, our account number is 71850636